Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Thomas Hardy

Time-out!! Can we just take a moment to realize that his heart was buried in his wife Emma’s grave? How sweet… in a weird and twisted way…

Anyways….

One of the poems that I enjoyed by Hardy was his Logs on the Hearth, A Memory of a Sister. The poem begins as “fire advances along the log.” (1078). It then goes on to explain how the tree that now burns is the same tree that Hardy and his sister Mary had climbed as they were younger. The thing I found interesting about this poem was that the first 3 lines of each stanza describe something that can be seen as peaceful and beautiful and then the last line uses dark and unhappy words. All except for the last stanza—the stanza about Mary. This stanza begins dark and unhappy as it explains “my fellow-climber rises dim from her chilly grave” but continues on to show her happy and lively again “just as she was, her foot near mine on the bending limb, laughing, her young brown hand awave.” (1079).

While this poem is depressing because Hardy is grieving over his sisters loss, it is also very touching because you can truly see how much Hardy cared for his sister. One thing that I wonder is was Mary a younger or older sibling. I understand that it would be difficult to lose a sibling no matter the age…but it was just a thought. Without knowledge of this, I assumed that Mary was younger because she would be Thomas’s little sister and this could be why he felt so upset because he had protected her while they were younger. I am probably just making this up but I got this because while climbing the tree Thomas was the first and Mary was second. I took this to be that Thomas wanted to make sure the tree was safe for Mary. Another thing that made me think that this may be the case is that as they were climbing the tree Mary’s “young hand was awave.” This to me shows that she was excited to be able to climb that tree with her brother.

I could be completely wrong about all of that but it was how I read it and I believe that I may have read it this way because I am the older sibling and know how my younger brother is. I have never really been close with my brother because we are 4 years apart. I can remember how my brother looked up to me and followed my friends and me around all day and it would drive me crazy. However, recently my brother underwent two brain surgeries in order to remove a tumor that was found and I feel that it has brought us closer. It is awful to think that something so terrible brought to my attention how much my younger brother means to me. I will never forget how I felt when I found out the news and if something were to happen to him I would be devastated. I believe that Thomas and Mary were very close and they were probably very good friends. I hope that my brother and I will be able to continue the friendship that we have just so recently started to form.


Sorry that I got off topic a little bit.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Valerie,
I liked this poem as well. I took the same meanings from it that you did, so we must be right! Or is just a Valerie thing?! I think it's so incredible that he had his heart buried with his first wife too. I thought that stuff only happened in movies! The poem reminded me a lot of childhood with my older brother. Even though you are the older sibling, you understand well the feelings of the younger side. I am sorry for what your brother has been through, but I definitely can identify with your desire for continued closeness. Although I haven't experienced anything like you have had to endure, I know how important a sibling relationship can be.

keeholl said...

I enjoyed this work as well, and found this act romantic as well as symbolic to the love he had for his wife ( his heart belonged to her always).

Jonathan.Glance said...

Valerie,

Excellent close reading and explication of Hardy's "Logs on the Hearth." you do a great job with the poem, perhaps because of your experiences with your brother. We always bring our own perspectives to poetry!

Antoine Mincy said...

I think that you can not be wrong when discussing poetry. That is because it represents what you see and if all poetry were one dimensional then we that would make life very boring.